Logon / Register

Click below to access
the pre-assessment forms:

FREE Form A - Visitor or Tourist Visas

This preliminary assessment form is designed to assist persons who are interested in touring Australia or visiting friends or relatives. It does not cover medical treatment, prearranged medical treatment visas or electronic travel authority (visitor) visas.

When applying for a visitor's visa, the Australian Immigration Authorities will assess your visa application depending on how well you can convince the assessing officer that you are a genuine visitor.

The usual visa conditions imposed on visitor visas are "No work", "No study more than 3 months", "Must leave Australia within the validity period of visa" and an "X-ray for those over 18 years old who intend to study for more than 4 weeks".

If you fall within the "Risk Factor Profile", you are single and unemployed, or you have applied for a visitor visa in the last five years, you need a higher level of evidence to convince Immigration Authorities that you are a genuine visitor who will not overstay, work, or change your visa.

From the 23rd March 2013, the following visas were abolished:

     • Business (Short Stay) (subclass 456) visa
     • Sponsored Business Visitor (Short Stay) (subclass 459) visa
     • Tourist visa (subclass 676) visa
     • Sponsored Family Visitor (subclass 679) visa
     • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (Business—Long Validity) (subclass 956) visa
     • ETA (Business—Short Validity) (subclass 977) visa
     • ETA (Visitor) (subclass 976) visa
     • Medical Treatment visa (Short Stay) (subclass 675) visa
     • Medical Treatment visa (Long Stay) (subclass 685) visa

The above visas were replaced by the following new Visitor Visa groups:

     • Visitor (subclass 600) visa
     • Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) (subclass 400) visa
     • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (subclass 601) visa
     • Medical Treatment (subclass 602) visa
     • eVisitor (subclass 651) visa

The new Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

The new Subclass 600 has 4 Streams, three of which incorporate the abolished subclasses. The specific purposes for each stream are:

1. Tourist Stream (onshore or offshore application): for holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends;

2. Business Visitor Stream (offshore application): for short business activity, such as participating in a conference or trade fair or seminar; entering into, reviewing, investigating or negotiating a business contract; making a general business employment enquiry; or an activity carried out as party of an official government to government visit. You do not need a sponsor for this stream, but you must have a business background.

3. Sponsored Family Stream (offshore application): to visit family sponsors or attend a meeting. You may be required to provide a bond. You must be sponsored by an eligible relative or an Australian government official.

4. Approved Destination Status Stream (offshore application): you are from the People’s Republic of China traveling in an organised tour group.

Subclass 600 retains the requirements and conditions common to previous visitor visas, such as evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself throughout your visit, permission to study for up to 3 months, no work entitlement, and possibly a “no further stay” condition. Eligible parents may be granted extended periods of 18 months to 5 years, with the condition not to stay for more than 12 months for each visit.

The new Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) Visa (Subclass 400)

The Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) Visa (Subclass 400) was also introduced, replacing the Business (Short Stay) Visa (Subclass 456) and Sponsored Business Visitor (Short Stay) Visa (Subclass 459) where the Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) is not appropriate because the applicant’s intended visit will involve work or is a non-business activity.

Subclass 400 is available for offshore applicants intending to visit either:

• for short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work: or
• to participate in an event or events on a non-ongoing basis at the invitation of an Australian organisation.

What is a “short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work”?

To be regarded as short-term, non-ongoing, the relevant work or event must only last for a period usually up to 6 weeks, but may be granted up to 3 months. Any study to be undertaken during the visit must not lead to a formal award.
Your work is regarded as highly specialised if your occupation is listed in Major Groups 1, 2 or 3 of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZCO), or it requires skills and knowledge that are specific to an international company, such as installing imported equipment, after-sales service or emergency repairs. You are expected to have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can both assist Australian business and cannot reasonably be found in the Australian labour market.

What is an “event or events on a non-ongoing basis at the invitation of an Australian organisation”?

The relevant event will usually be of a cultural or social nature. You must not be receiving any remuneration from the Australian organization for participating in the event.
The inviting organisation must be both operating lawfully in Australia and directly responsible for the event or have a formal role in preparing for or conducting it. You must submit a letter of invitation from the inviting organisation.
If you are visiting for business purposes you should apply through the Business Visitor Stream of Subclass 600.
If you intend to visit Australia as an entertainer, or take part in a production or broadcast, you should apply for a Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa subclass 420 instead of this visa.

Existing valid holders

If you are a holder of one of the recently abolished visas, you do not need to be concerned. Your current visa will remain valid until the visa expiry date. You can check your visa expiry date using VEVO

Form A is a self-assessment form, please do not submit. If you answer "yes" to all of the questions below, we believe you will have a reasonable chance of success. However, you must be able to submit evidence in support of your answers when you apply for the visa and you must not have a history of immigration malpractice (false information, breach of previous visa conditions, fake passport).

If you are still uncertain and wish to engage our professional services to assist you in your application, please submit your answers and we will contact you within 7 days. Charges will apply.

Please read our articles on visitor visas for more information.


The Principal Solicitor, Imelda Argel B.A.(Hons.), L.L.B. (U.P.), L.L.M. (USYD) is a
Solicitor in the State of New South Wales
Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
Migration Agents Registration No.9682957
Attorney at law in the State of New York, USA
Attorney at law in the Republic of the Philippines
 site by Tiptopweb